- Cuisine: Mexican
- Course: Appetizer, Dinner, Main Dish, Side Dish, Snack
- Skill Level: Beginner, Child Friendly, Easy
- Add to favorites
- 12 Large Mild, green chiles w/stems
- 1/2 Pound Jack cheese cut into long narrow, strips.
- 1 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs, slightly beaten
Parch and peel chiles leaving stems on.
Cut small slit below the stem, removing seeds if desired.
Insert strips of Jack cheese being careful not to split chile.
Sift flour with baking powder and salt, then add cornmeal.
Blend buttermilk and slightly beaten eggs, then combine milk mixture with dry mixture and blend together.
Slightly moisten each chile with water, dip in plain flour, then in batter.
Allow to drain slightly and drop in deep fat which has been heated to 375 F.
Fry until golden.